The Sierra Club
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
☰ Menu

Filing a citizen complaint in Kentucky


Protecting the land, water, and people of the commonwealth of Kentucky is the responsibility of all citizens. You are the frontline of defense for clean water and a healthy environment. Federal and state mining laws give you options and power as citizens to help enforce the law. One way to do this is through a citizen complaint. If you see something - REPORT IT. Don't assume someone else is taking care of it.

Potential problems related to mining include:
  • contaminated water on private property or in public waterways (odor, color, dead fish/animals, turbidity)
  • erosion or sedimentation streams on private or public property
  • contamination of private wells or other drinking water sources
  • fugitive dust coming of a minesite from blasting, preparation and transport of materials.
  • other blasting concerns

     Stream below a slurry pond in Deane, KY    

*It is best to submit your complaints and requests for inspection in writing, to document your submission. Please followup your written submission with a phone call. If you are reporting an emergency, please call the appropriate offices immediately.
If you encounter a problem with a mining operation, contact:
Frankfort Central Office
Division of Mine Reclamation and Enforcement
Kentucky Department of Natural Resources
#2 Hudson Hollow
Frankfort, KY 40601
Steve Hohmann, Commissioner
Billy Ratliff, Director
Phone: (502) 564-2340
Fax: (502) 564-5848
Also consider filing complaints regarding a surface mine to the Federal Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSM or OSMRE).
Lexington Field Office
Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement
2675 Regency Road
Lexington, KY 40503
Joseph  Blackburn, Field Office Director
(859) 260-3902
You can also contact the London OSM office:
London Area Office
Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement
421 West Highway 80
London, Kentucky 40741
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1048
London, KY 40743
(606) 878-6440
If you encounter a problem with abandoned mine land (AML):
Division of Abandoned Mine Lands
Kentucky Department of Natural Resources
2521 Lawrenceburg Road
Frankfort, KY 40601
Mark Meade, Director
(502) 564-2141
Emergency Number: (877) 495-9552
For general environmental emergencies:
Kentucky Hotline: (800) 928-2380