June 5th, 2013, the Sierra Club and its partners filed suit against Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Company (BNSF) and several coal companies for violations of the federal Clean Water Act. The Sierra Club, Puget Soundkeeper, Columbia Riverkeeper, RE Sources for Sustainable Communities, and Friends of the Columbia Gorge sent a 60 day notice in April after collecting evidence demonstrating the companies’ responsibility for emitting coal into waterways in several locations across Washington. Spokane Riverkeeper and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) recently sent a notice letter for these violations as well.
- June 5th, 2013 Press Release
- Recording of the live Press Conference on 6/5/13
- The Truth About Coal Dust Factsheet
- Notice Letter
- Notice Letter plus appendix
- Official Legal Complaint
- Complaint Appendix
- Rail and Coal Industry: History of Finger Pointing
Share it on Facebook!