Welcome to Sacramento ICO!
Chair: Ginny Volk-Anderson
We are the Sacramento, California, chapter of Sierra Club Inspiring Connections Outdoors (ICO), formerly known as Inner City Outings. ICO is a volunteer community outreach program that provides outdoor opportunities for people who don’t have many chances to explore and enjoy the natural world. We take children and young adults on fun and educational outdoor outings such as hikes, camping trips, snowshoe and snowplay days, kayaking and river-rafting trips and nature walks. We are part of Sierra Club’s Mother Lode Chapter, which covers 24 counties in northern and central California.
We meet on the fourth Thursday of each month, at 6:30p.m., at the Breathe California office, 909 12th St.
We work with local agencies that serve children and young adults, including:
*Grant High School GEO Environmental Science and Design Academy
We average around two outings a month. Take a look at our Facebook Page to see some recent fun trips.
How to Get Involved
We are an all-volunteer organization. We would like our volunteers to participate by assisting or leading three or more outings per year. Or, volunteers can help with outing-related tasks such as preparing meals, caring for our equipment locker, performing an ICO administrative job or organizing or participating in a fundraising event.
Because we work with children, we have some very specific requirements to become a volunteer who goes on outings. All ICO volunteers must:
- Maintain current membership in the Sierra Club. Not a member? Join here. Student applicants: please contact us if you would like to be reimbursed for the membership fee.
- Attend one of our monthly meetings or make arrangements to meet our leaders.
- Complete the ICO Application, Volunteer Agreement and the Code of Ethics. You can download and print these PDF forms:
- Submit the completed and signed forms to our Volunteer Coordinator, Kitty Williamson. You can scan and email the forms to her, mail them to her at 4805 Olive Oak Way, Carmichael, CA 95608, or bring them to a monthly ICO meeting.
After you are approved, you will be asked to sign up for our Meetup site, where we schedule our outings.
If you have any questions about the application process, you can call Kitty at 916-799-5710. Submitting the application forms will begin the process of running background and Department of Motor Vehicles record checks.
Without our leaders, there would be no outings. Trip leaders plan the outing location, route, transportation, gear, food and ICO volunteer staffing. They work with the agency to pick a day and time, distribute permission slips and hold a pre-trip meeting to tell the children and staff about the outing.
To become an ICO Trip Leader you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Fulfill the volunteer requirements.
- Be familiar with the Sierra Club Outings Leader Handbook.
- Complete Leader Training.
- Complete First Aid training.
- Complete Child Abuse Recognition and Prevention training.
- Be competent in the skills needed for the activities involved in each outing.
- Have a thorough understanding of the responsibilities of the ICO volunteers, agency staff and participants.
- Serve as assistant leader on one outing and provisional leader on another.
- Be approved by Sacramento ICO officers.
We ask leaders to organize several trips per year.
If you cannot volunteer your time, we are always happy to receive monetary and equipment donations.