New Jersey Seashore Service
- Help maintain the longest continuous stretch of protected land along Barnegat Bay
- Enjoy seashore, lake, inlet, bay and intra-coastal habitats
- Explore the Pine Barrens International Biosphere Preserve and learn about early colonial heritage, maritime culture, and seaside flora and fauna
- Indoor lodging and all meals at the Lighthouse Center
- Scheduled excursions to wildlife management areas, nature preserves, the Atlantic seashore of New Jersey, and presentations by local conservationists
|Dates||Oct 6–12, 2013|
This trip has already run. Here are a few others you may enjoy:
- New Jersey Seashore Service (Oct 5–11, 2014)
- City in a Garden: Spring Service in Chicago, Illinois (Apr 27–May 3, 2014)
- Red Rock Eden, Capitol Reef National Park, Utah (Apr 27–May 3, 2014)
To search our full lineup by destination, date, activity, or price, please visit our Advanced Search page. Or give us a call at 415-977-5522 to find the trip that's right for you.
Please note that the trip title has changed from what was originally published. If you have questions, please contact us.
During our week together we will assist the Natural Resource Education Foundation of New Jersey (NREFNJ) with its forest, marsh and meadow conservation efforts at the Lighthouse Center, a protected 194-acre property of the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife adjacent to Barnegat Bay. We will also explore the culture, early American history and unique natural setting of the New Jersey seashore and the Pine Barrens. Not even a year after Hurricane Sandy, the trip will allow us to observe the aftermath of the hurricane on the NJ seashore and its nearby communities.
Our group will assist the NREF with habitat improvement. We will do trail building and maintenance activities involving removal of invasive plants and litter and tree debris from Hurricane Sandy. We'll also prune small trees and shrubs, and do other gardening activities, including weeding, re-planting, irrigation, and soil aeration. We'll help with facilities maintenance, such as indoor and outdoor painting, rustic furniture refurbishing, power washing, carpentry, and general cleaning.
We’ll meet on Sunday, October 6 at the Lighthouse Center and have our first meal together for supper. Please plan to arrive on Sunday no later than 4:30 p.m. We will perform all work on the Lighthouse Center property, and spend afternoons in group outings to places of interest or opt for self-guided free time. Our trip ends shortly after our group breakfast on Saturday, October 12.
The nearest airports are Newark Liberty International and Atlantic City International. The NJ Transit system runs transit services from the airports to the vicinity of the trip site. Please let the trip leaders know if you need to be picked up from local transit stations.
Accommodations and Food
The group will lodge and dine at the Lighthouse Center. Bedrooms are equipped with beds and dressers, towels, and bed linen. Bath and laundering facilities are also included. All meals are included and will be vegetarian friendly. We will attempt to accommodate most special dietary requests.
A wide assortment of light to moderate duties is available; assignments will be given based upon ability and interest.
Equipment and Clothing
The Lighthouse Center will supply all necessary work tools.
- Mountford, Kent, Closed Sea: From the Manasquan to the Mullica - A History of Barnegat Bay. Down The Shore Publishing. 2002.
- Leopold, Aldo, A Sand County Almanac . Oxford University Press, New York. 1989.
- Cox, Donald D., A Naturalist’s Guide to Seashore Plants. Syracuse NY: Syracuse U. 2003.
- McPhee, John, The Pine Barrens. New York: Ferrar, Straus, and Giroux. 1968.
Participants will perform a variety of land protection activities.
Notes for Sierra Club Outings
- Carbon Offsets
- Electronic Billing and Forms
- Electronic Devices
- How to Apply for a Trip
- Leader Gratuities
- Liability Release and Assumption of Risk
- Medical Issues
- Non-discrimination Statement
- Participant Approval
- Reservation and Cancellation Policy
- Seller of Travel Disclosure
- Travel Insurance
- Trip Feedback
- Trip Price
- Wilderness Manners