New Jersey Seashore Service
- Enjoy seashore, lake, inlet, bay and intra-coastal habitats while protecting the longest continuous stretch of protected land on Barnegat Bay
- Explore the Pine Barrens International Biosphere Preserve
- Experience Island Beach State Park, a 3,000-acre undeveloped barrier island ecosystem
- Indoor lodging and all meals at the Lighthouse Center
- Excursions to wildlife management areas, nature preserves, and the Atlantic seashore
|Dates||Oct 5–11, 2014|
We will assist The Natural Resource Education Foundation of New Jersey (NREFNJ) with forest, marsh, and meadow conservation efforts at the Lighthouse Center. A one-time mid-20th-century summer recreation center for blind children, the Center is now a protected 194-acre property on Barnegat Bay within view of the Barnegat Inlet and Lighthouse on the Intracoastal Waterway. We’ll also explore other unique natural areas of the NJ Seashore and the great Pinelands National Reserve.
Among the work that we might do at the Lighthouse Center:
- Habitat improvement, trail building, and maintenance activities involving removal of invasive plants, litter, and coastal storm debris
- Pruning small trees and shrubs and gardening activities, such as weeding, relocation, irrigation, and soil aeration
- Facilities maintenance, including indoor and outdoor painting, rustic furniture refurbishing, power washing, carpentry, and general cleaning activities
We’ll meet on Sunday, October 5 at the Lighthouse Center and have our first meal together for supper. Please plan to arrive on Sunday no later than 4:30 p.m. We will perform all work on the Lighthouse Center property, and spend afternoons in group outings to places of interest or opt for self-guided free time. Our trip ends shortly after our group breakfast on Saturday, October 11.
The nearest airports are Newark Liberty International and Atlantic City International.
The NJ Transit system runs transit services from the airports to the vicinity of the trip site. Please let the trip leader know if you need to be picked up from local transit stations.
Accommodations and Food
The group will lodge and dine at the Lighthouse Center. Bedrooms are equipped with beds and dressers, towels, and bed linen. Bath and laundering facilities are also included. All meals are included. We can accommodate some special dietary requests, e.g., vegetarian.
A wide assortment of light to moderate duties is available; assignments will be given based upon ability and interest.
Equipment and Clothing
The Lighthouse Center will supply all necessary work tools.
- Mountford, Kent, Closed Sea: From the Manasquan to the Mullica - A History of Barnegat Bay. Down The Shore Publishing, 2002.
- Cox, Donald D., A Naturalist’s Guide to Seashore Plants. Syracuse NY: Syracuse U, 2003.
- McPhee, John, The Pine Barrens. New York: Ferrar, Straus, and Giroux, 1968.
Participants will perform a variety of land protection activities.
In 2014 America celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act. The Sierra Club, various other organizations with a wilderness focus, and the four federal wilderness management agencies are vigorously planning this celebration. The goal of the effort is to assure that a broader public knows about the concept and benefits of wilderness. Sierra Club Outings is a vital part of the celebrations for wilderness.
While the Act was far in the future when our outings program started, we were already promoting the principle behind it: to forever set aside from human developments certain special places, by civic agreement. This is the basic principle on which the Sierra Club was founded. The wilderness anniversary gives us an opportunity to highlight our organization’s leading role—in publicizing this principle, in passing the 1964 Act, and in achieving more designated wilderness since then.
Notes for Sierra Club Outings
- Carbon Offsets
- Electronic Billing and Forms
- Electronic Devices
- How to Apply for a Trip
- Leader Gratuities
- Liability Release and Assumption of Risk
- Medical Issues
- Non-discrimination Statement
- Participant Approval
- Reservation and Cancellation Policy
- Seller of Travel Disclosure
- Travel Insurance
- Trip Feedback
- Trip Price
- Wilderness Manners