Becoming a Volunteer
Connecting people to the outdoors is what we love to do! There are many ways that you can volunteer your time to connect America to beautiful spaces near and far. Whether you are an expert on your local trail system or you want to support your local outdoors group as a webmaster, volunteer coordinator, or fundraiser, the Sierra Club wants you! Read on to find out about the various volunteer opportunities and how to apply.
Want to lead outdoor trips?
Minimum Requirements for outdoor trip leaders for all Sierra Club programs:
- Sierra Club Membership and be at least 18 years old
- Complete a basic (or higher) first aid class
- Complete the Sierra Club Outing Leader Training 101 -- and OLT 201 if you are interested in overnight outings away from cars
- Possess skills appropriate for the activities of the trip
- Complete additional training as required by your Outings Chair
- Be an assistant leader on a trip
- Receive approval to lead outings from the Outing Chair or delegated authority of the entity sponsoring the outing
Leading Youth Groups
Additional Requirements to lead trips specifically for groups of youth:
- Sign the Youth-Oriented Volunteer Application, Code of Ethics, and Volunteer Agreement
- Complete the Sierra Club Child Abuse Recognition and Prevention Training annually
- Pass a criminal background check every four years
- If driving youth participants, leaders must pass a motor vehicles check every four years
Leading National & International Outings
Additional requirements to lead national and international outings (these are the outings you see in Sierra magazine and take about 9-12 months to organize):
- Go on a national outing and get a recommendation from an existing leader (highly recommended, but not required)
- Complete a wilderness first aid class (or higher)
- Be an assistant leader on a national outing
- Provisionally lead a national outing under the guidance of an experienced mentor leader and be certified to lead by your Outings Chair
Other ways to get involved with outings
Share your passion for the outdoors on or off trail. All of our groups are volunteer administered and can use your help. The Sierra Club has outings chapters and groups across the country. Your can find opportunities such as the following waiting for you:
- Skills trainer
- Volunteer coordinator
Interested in getting involved in any of these volunteer opportunities? If so, Apply Now!
Upon receipt of your application, you will be put in touch with a volunteer coordinator to help you with your next steps.